Artist & Facilitator

I am a freelance artist based in Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria in the North West of England. I have worked within the performing and fine arts for 20 years. Initally I worked within the theatre as a performer and on production. Then moving on to a street circus group that performed around the UK. I did my degree BA(hons) Fine Art at Uclan. For fifteen years I have collaborated with local arts organisations, worked on youth community projects and in schools running a variety of creative projects. I am currently a member of North Lonsdale Embroiderers Guild, Blue Tarn, a rural womens artists collective and Trident Textiles, based in Furness. I am always working on a variety of small scale projects including photography, textile and mixed media. Although my favourite thing is meeting and talking to interesting people!


Monday 19 July 2010

Busy Summer!

I have away camping and to London to visit family over the last few weeks so I have not had much time to work.  I have even missed a few guild meetings because of this!  However, I did manage to make a summer skirt from a piece of remnant material in my stash for going away with.  Just a simple 6 panel a-line with a side zip and narrow waist band.  I used a vintage 1970's pattern.  Looks good I think.




While in London I managed to get to the Tate Modern to get a glimpse of new work, which is always inspiring.  What was really great though was that Nic and I got a private tour of the Houses of Parliment.  Nic's cousin Andy works in IT for the House of Lords!! We had drinks on the House of Lords cafe terrace overlooking the river!! Got some good photos too!




Another thing Andy's wife Fanoulla has just set up a charity in memory of her mother who died last year.  It is called 'Forget-Me-Not' and it is in aid of Dementia.  She has upcoming events like a Gala and Ball.  She is needing stuff to raffle.  So I reckon I must be able to make a few things for her to raffle.  Plus I am currently designing and making a little evening bag for her.  It is made from violet silk and I am embroidering a 'William Morris' inspired woodland image with forget-me-nots on it.  Inside I am going to put this quote from 'Evangaline' by Longfellow. 

"Silently, one by one, in the infinite meadows of Heaven,

Blossom the lovely stars, the forget-me-nots of the angels."

No comments: