Artist & Facilitator

I am a freelance artist based in Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria in the North West of England. I have worked within the performing and fine arts for 20 years. Initally I worked within the theatre as a performer and on production. Then moving on to a street circus group that performed around the UK. I did my degree BA(hons) Fine Art at Uclan. For fifteen years I have collaborated with local arts organisations, worked on youth community projects and in schools running a variety of creative projects. I am currently a member of North Lonsdale Embroiderers Guild, Blue Tarn, a rural womens artists collective and Trident Textiles, based in Furness. I am always working on a variety of small scale projects including photography, textile and mixed media. Although my favourite thing is meeting and talking to interesting people!


Friday 15 October 2010

TRACES Exhibition at Artgene

Been taking part with Signal Films, as one of 12 people, in a series of digital art photography workshops over the last couple of weeks.  Artist Rebecca Lupton, who is based is Manchester, ran the workshops.  The theme given was Traces with a view to Barrow and regeneration.  I decided to take photos along the 'old line' path that I used to cycle a lot.  The path has now been extended at the Buccleuch Dock end and at the other you can carry on to Roa Island. 

I took photos over 2 days, one day walking with Nic and Alex, using our compact camera, very sunny afternoon too.  The other using Signal Films Slr camera, it was an dull and overcast day with showers.  Photos from both days were used in the final selection for the exhibition.  I met people along the path and asked if I could take their picture and most obliged.  I also took detail shots of foliage and structures.  I liked the cross-over of Industrial and nature on the path and tried to capture that. 

Technically alot of my pictures could have been better with use of a tripod and setting it up better beforehand.  However, I was walking miles with a two year old and I often had to just take the photo quickly so as not to hold people up.  Taking pictures of strangers was new to me!

Back at the office and looking at the photographs for editing was difficult, because I had taken 'snapshot' style photos I ended up with over 800 to select from.  I decided to display portrait along with detail images.  I chose three of my favourite people and associated detail.  Apart from cropping, no photoshop was used on the images.

Displaying my work was always going to be slightly tricky as I had opted to make it into an informal collage using gallery pins.  I wanted the combination to look right and flow for the eye.  I think this affect was achieved in the end.  I would have preferred to have had my narrative displayed with the collage but it was decided that it would have looked out of place alongside the other artists work.  I was pleased overall.

The exhibition preview was Thursday 14th October, it was well attended and people seemed to enjoy the event and the talk by guest artist Miskha Henner.  The exhibition is at Artgene in the Nan Tait building, Abbey Road, Barrow-in-Furness until the 24th October 2010.  It is free and open to all.








Click here for Traces Blog

No comments: