Artist & Facilitator

I am a freelance artist based in Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria in the North West of England. I have worked within the performing and fine arts for 20 years. Initally I worked within the theatre as a performer and on production. Then moving on to a street circus group that performed around the UK. I did my degree BA(hons) Fine Art at Uclan. For fifteen years I have collaborated with local arts organisations, worked on youth community projects and in schools running a variety of creative projects. I am currently a member of North Lonsdale Embroiderers Guild, Blue Tarn, a rural womens artists collective and Trident Textiles, based in Furness. I am always working on a variety of small scale projects including photography, textile and mixed media. Although my favourite thing is meeting and talking to interesting people!


Tuesday 26 October 2010

Exhibition Comes Down!

Whilst I was doing my invigilation stints at Artgene I managed to learn a little more about their Design Cafe.  It is really interesting and would love to join them on Sat 11th Dec for their walk, it starts at the cemetery and onto Sandscale Hawes Lousey Point for a meal in one of the black huts!  A few weeks just  before that artist Sophie Mellor will be doing a presentation about how her project in and around Barrow has gone. That is in the cafe itself on Wed 17th November at 7pm.  The concept of the cafe and activities are described in the following link;


However,  we took the exhibition down today.  We packed the photographs away carefully in paper with labels.  They may be going onto another venue.  So watch this space for that.  It is always sad when taking down an exhibition or display that you have been involved in, even when not as an artist.  It marks the end of a period of intense activity which usually was extremely interesting and involved bonding moments!  Although there was problems along the way in regards to my prints and narrative, it does not detract from the enjoyment I had from being involved in the project.  I also had the opportunity to meet new people and strengthen old acquaintances.

On with the new projects now and finishing off little textile projects that have been ongoing at home.  I have to finish off scanning my old 35mm slides onto the computer so I can prove I have done stuff in the past!! I have been asked to give a talk at the college to students about work since my degree.  Scanning the slides take ages and I have so many!!  I wish I could afford to send them off to be done by a company somewhere!  Plus they are a bit dusty despite being packed away quite carefully! I have tried blackmailing Nic, my husband, but he is not having it! 

Oh and nearly forgot we are off to Manchester in two weeks for the weekend and to see Linkin Park in concert.  Looking forward to a baby free weekend!  Oops did I just say that! Bad mother!  Although here is a photo taken by Nic of Alex, 2 years old, on a ride on the pier at Blackpool on Sunday.  As you can see he loved it!! The lights were good but the same as ever!!



Scream if you want to go faster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: