Artist & Facilitator

I am a freelance artist based in Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria in the North West of England. I have worked within the performing and fine arts for 20 years. Initally I worked within the theatre as a performer and on production. Then moving on to a street circus group that performed around the UK. I did my degree BA(hons) Fine Art at Uclan. For fifteen years I have collaborated with local arts organisations, worked on youth community projects and in schools running a variety of creative projects. I am currently a member of North Lonsdale Embroiderers Guild, Blue Tarn, a rural womens artists collective and Trident Textiles, based in Furness. I am always working on a variety of small scale projects including photography, textile and mixed media. Although my favourite thing is meeting and talking to interesting people!


Sunday 17 October 2010

Exhibition Narrative

As I could not display my narrative for the exhibition I thought I would put it here for people to read. Thanks to Nic for getting photos of collage at the gallery and of the preview evening.






The Old Line
Artistic Statement

Come rain or shine my mother and I would cycle the old line after work. We would start at Buccleuch Dock and cross the causeway at Cavendish Dock onto the line which is now the Westfield Nature Trail and finish at Roa Island. Along the path we would meet many people cycling, walking the dog, fishing or jogging. Over time we would recognise people and say hello and see new faces discovering the line.

This whole area has been given a new lease of life. Now the path is extended at both ends, the walker or cyclist can find themselves amongst an Industrial landscape with deep rural hills and a stunning shoreline. Seasons come and go and show us what nature has to offer. Sea birds feeding in the marsh, berries on the bushes and bees being busy.

I decided to revisit the path on foot with my camera for this project and look again with fresh eyes. I met many interesting people that were willing to be photographed and chat to me. The collage of portrait, landscape and detail are all connected and give an insight into what the path has to offer and the people who enjoy it.

Photographic Collage Narrative


The fisherman was at Cavendish Dock with two friends and had been there from early morning. They fish there often and know the area well. They catch Carp on a regular basis and told me how they use their bait. They caught a few when I was talking to them. At the point when this fish was caught, the traffic on the road to one side and people walking by all came to a standstill waiting to catch the glimpse of the Carp. Only a small one this time, although I am told the dock does contain carp as big as 30lbs.

I met the cyclist by the gas terminal, his new bike set aside he was sat on a bench he had knocked up, eating bright orange Sea Buckthorn berries he had picked along the path. His hands were stained from berries he so obviously enjoyed. They were everywhere along this stretch, bursting open as they were so ripe, with their sweet citrus aroma filling the air around. He told me how he uses the path every day and likes to sit on his bench and look out across the marsh to the sea. He knew a great deal of the history of the ‘old line’.





I was very lucky to meet the boatman and his dog Alfie. I was on the sand by the Roa Island causeway car park photographing an old skeleton boat, when he appeared from his boat. The tide was out and he had his waders on and his little dog in a bag, saving him from sinking into the muddy sand. Alfie, a Jack Russell is a rescue dog and was a little nervous, he explained to me. The man had bought his boat to do up and eventually sail around the Scottish Isles. He told me how much work he had done so far but that it was taking longer than he anticipated. He works on the boat every day.
















1 comment:

kazza said...

your narrative brings your pictures and the pathway to life