Artist & Facilitator

I am a freelance artist based in Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria in the North West of England. I have worked within the performing and fine arts for 20 years. Initally I worked within the theatre as a performer and on production. Then moving on to a street circus group that performed around the UK. I did my degree BA(hons) Fine Art at Uclan. For fifteen years I have collaborated with local arts organisations, worked on youth community projects and in schools running a variety of creative projects. I am currently a member of North Lonsdale Embroiderers Guild, Blue Tarn, a rural womens artists collective and Trident Textiles, based in Furness. I am always working on a variety of small scale projects including photography, textile and mixed media. Although my favourite thing is meeting and talking to interesting people!


Wednesday 12 May 2010

Too Much To Do!


What a busy family we are................


I have been really busy with all kinds of projects and trips.  Skiing in Morzine went brilliantly, we arrived in time for lots of new snow.  Alex loved it.  Our friends who were new to skiing had a brilliant time too and are going again!  Just when I thought no one read my blog, BBC Radio Cumbria got in touch asking me to do 'Little Cumbria' based on my blog!  So I tootled off to the studio to record a week in the life of me.  It is not direct from my blog but certainly includes crafty things.  I had to laugh at my broad accent though.  They sent me a cd of the recordings after it was aired. See link for the full show.

Link to Little Cumbria Monday Show
Link to Little Cumbria Tuesday Show
Link to Little Cumbria Wednesday Show
Link to Little Cumbria Thursday Show
Link to Little Cumbria Friday Show



I also attended the Embroidery Guild North West Regional Day in Manchester with fellow guilders.  There were stalls selling a variety of goodies.  Two speakers plus a committee guild update.  Competitions and work to look at.  The lunch was rather nice too.  I really enjoyed it.  I had to try and finish off some pictures for our guild exhibitions plus dig out some old ones.  I did not manage to really do that as time was against me.  I did find an old fashioned tree embroidery i did years ago but it did not go into the exhibition either.  Below shows the lichen embroidery I had started, I also madel ime green lichen on water soluable fabric to go over the blue but got fed up!!


I am now back onto making housey project stuff like doorstops, cushions and tablecloths.  I have found a lovely arts and crafts pattern book which would make lovely finishing touches.  I really want to explore my kooky Barrow bags.  Images of Barrow appliques onto tote bags or anything really.  I might be able to sell them through the tourist info shop or made in cumbria.  Need to make up a batch though.  Images will be more like cranes, subs, lighthouses, seagulls and fun local sights rather than the obvious lakeland scenes.  I have made a couple of mock ups in material scraps. 


Other family stuff have involved taking Alex with his cousins to Ducky Park Farm at Flookburgh with Nic and my parents.  It was a great day they loved it. Especially the tractor ride and the animals!  Alex also had a trip on the Lil' Ratty at Ravenglass and totally loved that too, so he is now tractor and choo choo mad!


No comments: